BC Liquor Store
For the best beer selection, both local and abroad, hit the BC Liquor Store. It’s a chain, but we frequented the one located on Lake Placid in Whistler Creek. Ask for Arnie and request for his special collection of rarities in the back. This photo is a collection of his recommendations, a variety of local and Belgium favorites. And the winners? Spinnakers Brewery hailing from Victoria, British Columbia made two top notch brews, Red Fife Hefeweizen, made in the classic German styling and Ciel Nuit, a Dark Sour Saison.
From the left:
- Juxtapose Wild IPA, Four Winds Brewery, Delta, British Columbia
- Trappistes Rochefort 6 (Dubbel), Brasserie de Rochefort, Belgium
- Stouterik (Irish Dry Stout), Brasserie de la Senne, Belgium
- Guldenberg (Tripel), Brouwerij De Ranke, Belgium
- Spinnakers, Ciel Nuit (Dark Sour Saison), Victoria, British Columbia
- IPA, Four Winds Brewery, Delta, British Columbia
- Hop Circle IPA, Phillips Brewing Company, Victoria, British Columbia
- Spinnakers Red Fine Hefeweizen
- Delirium Tremens (Belgian Strong Pale Ale), Brouwerij Huyghe, Belgium
Whistler Brewing Company
A picture perfect day in Whistler is taking a beautiful day hike followed by a frosty beer at Whistler Brewing Company. You’ll find a wide variety of beers thematic of Whistler’s features such as the Peak to Pier Summer Wit (my fave) and Lost Lake IPA. We loved to sit at the bar stools that face out front with a view of snow capped Whistler in the distance, even though it’s July. Away from the bustling Village, this is a place frequented by the locals. We met Mike who recommended Wedge Rafting and lent us his phone to make a reservation. Beth from Victoria, traveling with her partner and mom, told us about the Train Wreck hike, which we made sure to do later in the week.
Howe Sound Brewing
Howe Sound Brewing gets it’s name from the water inlet larger than a bay, otherwise known as a sound. Located in the town of Squamish, the brewery and restaurant offers a large list of ales and lagers. I enjoyed a pint or two of the King Heffy Imperial Hefeweizen. Stay for the daily soup, made in house, or the chicken tikka masala. We made friends; enjoying a pint with Christian, living in Vancouver but originally from Germany, and his friend, Cristal, visiting Elliot from Southern France. They were in Squamish for the rock climbing. The brewery looks out onto Stawamus Chief, a 700 meter granite dome, one of the largest monoliths in the world, pictured below.
Did I miss any notable brews? If so, leave a message in the comment section.